Thursday, July 19, 2012

Strawberry-Banana Waffles

Waffles are a big breakfast request in my house.  I'm always looking for new recipes and trying out different combinations, I hardly ever make plain waffles (boring!).  I start with a basic waffle recipe and throw in some new ingredients to make it interesting. This morning, I decided to try out a new mix, strawberry and banana!  Don't these look delicious?!?!  They taste so good, you don't even need syrup.....but feel free to pour it right on, or sprinkle with some powdered sugar!  :)




Strawberry-Banana Waffles

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
handful of strawberries (6-8)
2 ripe bananas
3-4 cups oatmeal

Directions:

Mix together-flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Add in-milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.  Finally, stir in-strawberries, bananas, oatmeal. I pureed half the strawberries and 1 banana. Then I chopped the remaining fruit because I like to taste the chunky strawberries and bananas in the cooked waffles.

When your batter is ready, pour about 3/4 cup into a preheated waffle maker and cook until golden brown.  I needed to cook mine a few extra minutes after the waffle maker's timer went off because they weren't cooked all the way through yet. This recipe makes 12-14 waffles, and they freeze well.

Looking for other flavors?
Replace the strawberries and bananas with.....

cinnamon & finely chopped apples
chopped peaches & blueberries
chopped bananas & mini chocolate chips


1 comment:

  1. I made these waffles last night for dinner (love breakfast for dinner) and was a bit worried about the amount of oatmeal the recipe called for. I used one cup of rolled oats and decrease the milk to just a cup and the oil to 1/4 cup. I also substituted the eggs with a flax-seed egg (1tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp of water per egg). The waffles were light, fluffy and quite yummy. Paired with a quinoa with banana (I also incorporated strawberries), dinner was a vegan success!

    ReplyDelete