Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chili

Normally I don't make chili in the summer, BUT it has been SO hot here, that turning on my oven seems like an awful idea, and my husband is not up for grilling every night. So crock pot meals are a great back up. I had been craving some spice lately, and both my husband and I love chili, so I figured why not. It's not like its a fall/winter meal only. Although chili while watching a Patriot's game is one of my favorite things about fall :)

As a kid, I HATED beans. I would not touch anything with beans in it, and I am still that way today. My dad always made chili, and it always smelled SO good, but I refused to try it because of the beans. Then being the spoiled child I was, my dad decided to make beanless chili, just for me. So every time he made chili, it was regular chili in the big crock pot, and beanless for me in the small crock pot. So of course I make the beanless chili today :) But I am going to share both recipes for everyone, as I know many people like beans.

Beanless Chili 

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 of an onion, chopped 
  • 1 teaspoon of minced garlic 
  • 1 can on tomato sauce (15.8 oz can, regular size) 
  • 1 can of petite diced tomatoes 
  • 4 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 box Elbow noodles
    • Sour Cream
    • Shredded Cheddar Cheese 
     

Directions:
Brown the ground beef, drain, then place in the crock pot. Add the green pepper, onion, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and all the seasonings. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. I will warn you, this chili packs a good punch. If you aren't a huge spice lover, cut back on the cayenne, cumin and chili powder. You can always start with 1/2 the amount, and as more as it cooks. I usually recommend this to anyone using this recipe for the first time, unless you know you love spicy chili. Also, I often will add a little more than the amounts above, as I cook, but again, I like spicy chili, as does my husband. 

Since the chili doesn't have beans, I serve the chili over elbow noodles, and top with sour cream and cheddar cheese. 

Now...if you like beans, use the same recipe as above but you also need 1/2 cup of dried pinto beans, and 1/2 cup of dried kidney beans. Soak the beans in cold water overnight, the night before. Drain from the water and add into the crock pot with the meat, sauce and seasonings, and still cook the chili on low for 6-8 hours. Also, beans absorb water, so I recommend using an extra small can of tomato sauce (the 8 oz can), or 1/2 cup of water. 

Top with sour cream and cheese and enjoy!! 




    3 comments:

    1. YAY! Did the recipe your dad would make for the rest of the family have the beans added like you have above? Did he also add the small tomato sauce and water or is that your suggestion. I love beans so I want to make the bigger batch that he made...and yes your are SPOILED!!! Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
    2. He used the small tomato sauce and yes the beans just like above! And I know I was spoiled!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete