Thursday, July 12, 2012

4th of July Treats!


So Saturday night we had our annual 4th of July family party. It is more of a party to celebrate and remember my MIL who passed 9 years ago shortly after the 4th, but since the dates are close, the boys use it as an excuse to light fireworks, and I use it as an excuse to make fun festive treats!

This year I made red and blue star shaped Jell-O jigglers, homemade ice cream sandwiches, and Red, White, and Blue Strawberries. The Jell-O was my son's favorite, and I basically made that just for him! The ice cream sandwiches were for me, they include three of my favorites: chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, and SPRINKLES!! Everyone who knows me, knows that I love sprinkles! There is a bulk food shoppe here in town, and they have every type of sprinkle imaginable, and every holiday they have special holiday mixes. I have just about every sprinkle in the store, and especially love the holiday sprinkles. Usually I use them to decorate cupcakes or sugar cookies, but this holiday I wanted a summer treat! I also got to use different sprinkles when making the strawberries, so I was even more excited!

Jell-O Stars


Ingredients:
1 large or 2 small boxes of Jell-O (I used berry blue for the blue Jell-O and Cherry Lemonade for the Red).
1 1/4 cups of boiling water
Wilton Star Silicone Mold 


Directions:
Spray your Wilton Silicone Star Mold with cooking spray (light). Mix the Jell-O and boiling water in a small bowl. Mix for 2 minutes or until the powder is dissolved. Pour the Jell-O into the star shaped silicone mold, refridgerate for 2 hours. Remove from the mold and store the jigglers in a container with a lid.  I made both red and blue jigglers!




Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches 

Ingredients: 
24 Chocolate Chip Cookies 
1/2 Gallon of Ice Cream, flavor of your choice 
SPRINKLES!! 


Directions:
I prefer homemade chocolate chip cookies, maybe because mine are delicious (yes I am bragging), but they just taste better. A close second would be Sam's Club cookies, yummm. For the 4th of July we decided on chocolate malt ice cream, I am a sucker for chocolate and it was light enough in color it allowed for good contrast with the sprinkles. Put one scoop of ice cream on a cookie, and take a second cookie and press down on top of the ice cream to flatten out the scoop. Roll the ice cream sandwich in sprinkles (I used red, white and blue jimmies shown on the right), and place on a cookie sheet. Once they are all finished, put the cookie sheet in the freezer and keep there until ready to serve! 


Red, White, & Blue Strawberries 

Ingredients:
24 Strawberries 
12 oz of white chocolate 
Blue Sprinkles 

Directions:
Melt the white chocolate over medium heat, using a double boiler pan. While the chocolate is melting, wash and dry the strawberries. Make sure the strawberries are dry so the chocolate sticks well to the sides. Once the chocolate is smooth and melted, turn the heat on low. Dip each strawberry first into the white chocolate, so it is covering 2/3 of the strawberry. Wait 30 seconds, then dip the strawberry 1/3 of the way into the blue sprinkles. Set the strawberry on a pan lined with parchment paper. Once all the strawberries are dipped, place the pan in the fridge and allow chocolate to harden. 







No comments:

Post a Comment