Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes!

So today was my son's 18 month birthday. No, we don't celebrate half birthdays generally, but I needed an excuse to make a fun summer dessert! I LOVE pink lemonade, I love cupcakes, so these are two of my favorite things joined together!


Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

Ingredients:


Cupcakes:

1 package white cake mix
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
3 Tbsp sweetened pink lemonade drink mix (the powder)
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp fresh lemon zest (this is about a 1/3 of a lemon)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup oil
4 whites eggs
4-6 drops of red or pink food coloring

Frosting:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Zest from the rest of the lemon from above
2 pound package or 7 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
4-6 drops of pink or red food coloring


Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pans, set aside. 
 I recommend using a KitchenAid type mixer for this recipe, the batter is thick, as is the frosting.  


In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, pudding mix, and drink mix. Then add sour cream, lemon zest, water, oil, and egg whites to the mix and beat on medium for about two minutes, until everything is well blended. Then add 4-6 drops of food coloring to the batter. Just enough to tint the cupcakes pink! 

Scoop batter into 24 lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (make sure the toothpick comes out clean!).  Let the cupcakes cool. 



Cupcakes straight from the oven! 


I recommend you make the frosting while the cupcakes are baking. This frosting goes on best when cold, especially if you are going to pipe the frosting on. 

Using the KitchenAid, cream the butter, shortening, and lemon zest together. Make sure they are well blended, and then add lemonade concentrate, milk and vanilla. Beat on medium high until smooth. Add the sugar slowly, and you will need to turn your mixer on high once all the sugar is added. Whip until the frosting is light and fluffy. You will see peaks in the frosting. Finally, add the food coloring. I always use red food coloring, and add about 5-6 drops until it is a bright but light pink color. 



Put the frosting in the fridge covered for 30-60 minutes (while the cupcakes cool, chill the frosting). 



Piped frosting with hot pink sugar crystals! 

I recommend piping the frosting on the cupcakes. I will address how to do this in a later blog, or feel free to ask any questions. Honestly, my husband is much better at piping cupcakes than I am, but I couldn't get him to help tonight! After the cupcakes are frosted, sprinkle hot pink sugar crystals over the cupcakes. Everyone who knows me, knows I love any type of sprinkle! I buy in bulk so I do not have a nice container to shake them out from, so I use a small hand sifter to sprinkle on the sugar crystals. 






Cupcakes with Neon Straws

To make the cupcakes more fun, you can put neon colored straws in them for decorations, or fruit candy wedges. I personally don't like fruit candy wedges, so I didn't do this, but they add a very cute touch!  












Enjoy! And Happy 18 months to my little E! 








Featured Products:
The KitchenAid Professional, my mixer of choice! 



Hand Sifter/Strainer


No comments:

Post a Comment