Saturday, June 23, 2012

America meets China.....

Apple Pie Wontons




I make different flavors of homemade applesauce for my girls all the time, they love it!  And, I've made a few different appetizers using wonton wrappers, they're always a hit at parties.  The other night, I thought I should try a recipe that combined the two.  Turned out to be a tasty little snack!  I definitely plan on making these again and using different combinations of fruit for different tastes.  I foresee a wonton dessert tray at a future party  :)


Ingredients:
fruit mixture
wonton wrappers
sprinkle of sugar
non-stick cooking spray


Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a mini muffin pan with a non-stick cooking spray.  Place 1 wonton wrapper in each muffin cup, making sure the sides fold in a bit so the bottom can be flat.  Fill with fruit mixture.  Cover with a tin foil 'tent'. Bake 8-10 minutes.  Take tin foil 'tent' off, sprinkle a bit of sugar over the fruit mixture, and bake an additional 8-10 minutes, until the wonton wrapper is slightly browned and the fruit mixture has started to bubble.  Remove and cool on cooling rack.  Serve warm or room temperature.  These would be very yummy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side, Wonton A La Mode! Makes about 20.


Fruit Mixture:
Chop desired fruit. ( I used 2 apples and 2 pears for this batch. I also left the skins on.)  Place chopped fruit in sauce pan and add about 1/4 cup of water and a sprinkle or two (or three!) of cinnamon.  Simmer on low heat till the fruit softens, about 15-20 minutes.  Be sure to stir a few times while cooking and add water if it begins to look too dry. The fruit will burn if there isn't enough liquid! Puree fruit mixture or leave chunky.  

No comments:

Post a Comment