Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

My most favorite thing about fall: PUMPKIN! Pumpkin Lattes, Pumpkin Pie, and Pumpkin Bread. I even make my 6 month old homemade pumpkin baby food. Gotta start him young on the pumpkin lovin!

Year after year I search and search for a pumpkin bread recipe. I have yet to ever find one I truly like. So this year, I decided I was done trying to find a recipe, I will make up my own. I have made plenty of loaves of banana bread, zucchini bread, and various other bread, to know the basic ingredients of a bread loaf. Now I just needed to get the right ratios and spices for the perfect pumpkin bread.

Well, SUCCESS!! The recipe makes 3 medium sized loaves, or 2 loaves and 6 muffins. Totally up to you.

Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:
1 can of organic pumpkin 15 oz (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
4 eggs
3 cups of sugar
2/3 cup water
1 cup of oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon all spice
1.5 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
3.5 cups of flour

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour each loaf pan.
2. Mix pumpkin, eggs, sugar, oil and water on medium speed in a large mixing bowl.
3. Once well mixed (soupy mixture), add cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and salt. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed. This allows the pumpkin mixture to get the spices well worked on.
4. With the mixer on medium, add the baking soda, and the flour slowly. Continue to mix until all the flour has been added.
5. Mix on medium for 2-3 minutes. Mixture will be like a thick soup.
6. Evenly divide the batter into the loaf pans. Batter will make 3 medium sized loaves, or two loaves and 6-12 muffins.
7. Cook two loaf pans at a time at 350 degrees for 40-60 minutes. I check after 40 minutes, and about each five minutes there after. Bread should be a warm brown color, and the tooth pick should come out clean. If you are making muffins they take 12-15 minutes.
8. Immediately remove the loaf from the pan, and place on to a cooling rack.

You can share the loaves with friends, eat them all yourself, or freeze the extra loaves. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment